Ofsted Inspection – 13th-15th November 2018
We have received the final report from OFSTED following our inspection on 13th, 14th and 15th November 2018. The full report has now been published on the OFSTED website.
The grades that can be awarded are Outstanding (1), Good (2), Requires Improvement (3) or Inadequate (4). In recent years the term ‘Requires Improvement’ has replaced the previous grading of ‘Satisfactory’ in the new OFSTED inspections.
Previously the school was judged as ‘Requires Improvement’ (1) in 2016. In February 2018, the school had a Material Change Inspection to increase the registration to 75 pupils. The Outcome was The school is likely to meet the relevant independent school standards if the material change relating to the school provision is implemented. However, in this recent inspection, the school was judged overall to be within the category of ‘Inadequate’ (4).
The inspectors highlighted a number of key areas which require improvement.
- management has to ensure that the safeguarding arrangements are effective.
- improving the overall quality of teaching across school – there is some good teaching but it is inconsistent
- pupils across school need to make better progress in the core areas of reading and writing and staff need to monitor progress more closely
- teachers need to consistently correct pupils’ grammar, punctuation and spelling errors in order to improve their writing
- reading across school needs to be taught consistently with a more coherent whole-school approach and the reading resources needs to be more varied.
- Pupil’s attendance has to improve.
It is obviously very disappointing for all members of staff that the outcome of the inspection has found that the school requires improvement and will undoubtedly be very disappointing for the parents also. However, it must be said that all staff in school are committed to providing the best education for the children of Carmel Christian School.
With the publication of the report, now is the time to look forward and continue to address the issues that our parents are most concerned about – that is ensuring that the children of Carmel Christian School receive the high quality education that they deserve in a safe environment where all children are supported to reach their potential. We are confident that our parents will continue to support us with this aim.
To give parents more opportunity to discuss concerns you may have regarding the OFSTED report and the progress that we are already making in improving the school, we have had a parents meeting where the detail was shared. We would like to invite any person with concerns to contact the Principal, Jaap van Wyk for further information about the feedback or the actions that we are implementing to address any shortfalls.
The Governing Body.